Friday 15 February 2013

Legendaries Part 2




So following on from part one of this post, where we established that as a guild leader I am in favor of the new changes to the legendary weapons for MoP. Though, I use the term weapons very loosely, as this is my first major gripe with the system as a player. In my opinion the legendary quest chains need to involve a lot of dedicated effort and possibly a bit of luck so that ultimately in the end when you finish and get your item, be it staff, daggers or mace it is a huge achievement.


In 5.0 it isn't - while the quest chain itself is fun, and on a personal note I do really enjoy Wrathion as a NPC - he is a bit of a dude, when you complete the first part of the quest chain you are rewarded with a +500 stat gem. Which is powerful but quite clearly not as awesome as a whole weapon. Linked to this is the fact that if you have, like myself, been quite unlucky until recently with drops, you may complete the the quest but not have a weapon to socket the gem in. Which in my personal opinion is just a very odd design choice. While I do understand people raiding regularly will probably have their weapons by now, it does force the rest of us to farm LFR waiting for a drop. The fact that you can complete the legendary quest chain in LFR, I also find odd. However I intend to blog about LFR at a later date so I shall leave that for now (for the record I love LFR as a feature, I just have a couple of minor issues with it).

Obviously at the moment we don't know how the legendary quest chain will evolve, the 5.1 section rewards an item that will add a socket to your sha-touched weapon. However in 5.3 we get legendary meta gems with procs for each class and a pvp gem. My main concern here is will we ever get a proper legendary weapon or will it continue to be character upgrades for various gears. I like the idea of building a legendary weapon over the course of the expac whereby each boss you defeat you take an item from then and add it to your weapon. Thus eventually we end up killing the final boss of MoP with an awesome weapon we crafted from scratch and that may possibly be named after us (fingers crossed on the last part). Now that would be cool, like I said previously it is still early days and at only patch 5.2 with probably 3-4 more patches to go there plenty of time for blizz to surprise us.

Overall I would say I am a fan of the new legendary system. I just have a few reservations. I hope that eventually when we finish crafting our legendaries. It can stand side by side in our guild housing (again fingers crossed), next to the older legendaries and not look out of place. It would be a shame if we got to the end and it was just disappointment, though with hindsight blizzard usually deliver when it comes to epic content. Wrathions legendary adventure has the potential to be truly epic content.

No comments:

Post a Comment